Improve access to surgical care in underserved communities, and support sustainable healthcare through education, partnerships and telemedicine.
ConnectMed stands apart from traditional medical mission organizations because we work with communities with insufficient medical resources to support patient care AND strengthen the local healthcare systems. We use three interrelated approaches:
- Bidirectional educational and research opportunities;
- Team care through partnerships with local providers;
- Telemedicine and other resources that local providers identify as essential for sustainability.
WHY? We believe that comprehensive healthcare should be accessible to everyone, regardless of where they live or their financial means. Our current focus is on the treatment of craniofacial deformities and disfiguring injuries. Living with these conditions often comes with serious obstacles to leading a “normal”, productive life. Patients often live in social exclusion or isolation, and do not attend school, date or marry, or find employment.
We also believe that the most effective way to improve access to specialty care is NOT by merely providing the surgical care ourselves during surgical missions, but by forming educational and working partnerships that strengthen healthcare systems in resource-poor communities and make them sustainable.
Our international partners:
- Clínica CER, Tijuana, Mexico
- Cuellar Dodd and Dr. Cuellar Jr., La Fuerza de mi Sonrisa, Hospital Especialidades Pediatricas, Chiapas, Mexico
- Hospital Gea Gonzalez, Plastic Surgery Department, Mexico City
- Hospital Infantil De Las Californias, Tijuana, Mexico
- DIF Clinic, Tecate, Mexico
- Hue University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Hue, Vietnam
- Wone Banda, Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital, Blantyre, Malawi
- ABC Clinic, Lilongwe, Malawi
TOGETHER WE TRANSFORM LIVES!
501(c)(3) Tax I.D No.: 27-0804773
President & Medical Director: Amanda Gosman, M.D.
Executive Director: Rita Albert, J.D.