International Fellowship Program
Now in its 4th year, the ConnectMed International Fellowship is a research project-based fellowship with opportunities for hands-on clinical training open to surgeons native to and practicing in resource-limited communities. CMI Fellows will have opportunities in the U.S. and Mexico City based on their stated interests. The goal is for CMI Fellows to share what they learn and to share their educational resources with colleagues in their home communities.
All applicants must
- Be plastic surgeons or surgeons in related fields from resource-limited countries.
- Propose and conduct research related to capacity-building research in their home communities.
Please provide a Letter of Intent, not to exceed one page, that:
– 1. describes the reasons you wish to become a CMI International Fellow, the patient population you primarily serve, and how the experience will impact your professional development and patients;
– 2. briefly summarizes your proposed research project and describes the impact the research and fellowship would have on the delivery of surgical care in your home community. You may find it helpful to consult your country’s WHO National Surgical, Obstetric and Anesthesia Plan for inspiration on your country’s goals for growing capacity in reconstructive surgery.
- Submit a Letter of Intent to Rita Albert at email@example.com by January 22, 2020.
- After submission and review of the LOI’s, you may be provided and invited to complete a Fellowship Application.
- Applications must be completed by March 1, 2020.
- Decisions made by April 1, 2020.
- Fellowship would commence on or after July 1, 2020 and may last from 2-6 months.
ConnectMed’s First International Fellow
In 2016-2017, Dr. Wone Banda (from Malawi) participated in our first International Fellowship at the surgery departments at University of Massachusetts Medical School, and Hospital Gea Gonzalez and other partner clinics in Mexico City. She scrubbed in and/or observed over 50 complex surgical cases, learning from some of the very best in various fields of reconstructive surgery, and participated in clinics and academic lectures.